Wednesday, June 20, 2012

And six months later.... we're back! Happy Half Birthday to my sweet baby boy

The last post on this blog was the day before I gave birth!

Exactly six months ago, on December 20th early, early in the morning I had my first contractions. By 10:11pm that evening Gage Henry Stevens made a hurried entrance into this world.

I still can't quite believe that he's real... he is the joy and light of my life - so smiley, happy, loveable - so perfect in every way that sometimes it feels like the past 6 months have been a wonderful dream! I am undoubtedly the most lucky woman on earth (nothing like being objective about these things) and not a day goes by that I do not kiss his little checks and say "mommy loves you so so so SO much!" Because I do. Much, much more than I can adequately express in words.

But the point of this blog is not to be a love-fest about my precious boy. Rather it is to keep a record for myself and others of how to parent a newborn, an infant, a baby, and eventually, a toddler. (With a few cute photos along the way.) For the past 6 months I've had the benefit of no job or other children so that I had/have time to research everything baby related - and I also now have more than a dozen friends with babies of similar ages so I have lots of moms to compare notes with.

Things from the past six months that I must cover:

1. Breastfeeding! - ahh breastfeeding. Seems so simple, no? No! It's not. At least not in the beginning. But it is so wonderful and easy once you've got it down.... I have SO much to say on this topic.

2. Baby products, by age group

3. Developmental milestones

4. Weaning (aka the introduction of solid food)

5. Infant sleep (ahhh pregnant people out there... enjoy those uninterrupted nights you lucky, lucky thing you, you don't know how lucky you are...)

6. Birth

There's so much I've learned - and so much that I've already forgotten! (Think pregnancy brain is bad... wait for baby brain - it's worse because you don't have crazy hormones to blame for your seeming absent-mindedness. Your partner will swear you are actually blonde.)

And since my good friend from childhood just broke the news to me that she is pregnant and due in October (yaaayy!! 'cuse me while I do a happy jig around the living room)... I want to start off with the fun stuff, which is of course, buying baby stuff!! This will require some thought however, so I will end it here for tonight and leave you with a very happy half birthday photo of my bugaboo, my bubba, my chunky monkey, my sweet baby Gage.




1 comment:

  1. Awww who is your childhood friend?? ;-). I am reading, so keep writing!! I will respond to your emails as soon as I get the energy/lose the puking
    I get from staring at my email...just about 22 weeks and still hurling my guts out, yay pregnancy :-) xoxo morgan

    ReplyDelete